November 14, 2011
I am relatively new to the board and will have a RBHR in one month. The surgeon I have seen is very experienced in BHR’s. Fortunately my bone density for a 56 year old female is good. However I am 5’4′. When the doctor briefly looked at my x-rays he said I would probably be at around a 44 size but would know more when he approached. Evidently alot of females fall within that size. I was really unclear if I am really sensitive to metal. I never give much thought to allergies. I would like the birmingham device for now, only because of the long track record.
I am a Dr. Su patient
January 20, 2012
Don’t know if any of this may help–this is what I tried to do early post-op
1) Definitely stay on two crutches all the time for now
2) Don’t do any straight leg lifts
3) When getting into bed scoot back as far as you can to passively move the operated leg into bed
4) For relief on back, put one pillow horizontally under buttocks and a larger or body type pillow under the knees
5) Ice at short intervals all thru-out the day (4-5 times)
6) Don’t stay sitting for longer than 40 minutes. For comfort I sat on one or two pillows even though I wasn’t instructed to do so.
Had a Right BHR waited four and a half weeks with husband in car. Just did around town driving at 5 weeks. More full driving at 6 weeks.